I’m participating in Between the Sheet‘s blog hop/contest about character voice. We’re to post the opening 250* words and hoppers will give their opinions and critiques. Excited to see what people think!
*mine is slightly longer than 250 just to end off at the end of a paragraph.
Genre: YA GLBT contemporary romance
So I’ve got six rules for dating. They go like this:
1) Never date the same person for more than one month.
2) Never date the same person twice.
3) Always behave like a gentleman, but try to remain distant and aloof.
4) Never give more than a kiss. Preferably short pecks. Definitely no tongue.
5) For the love of God, NO TOUCHING BREASTS!
6) Always end it with an “It’s not you, it’s me” speech, highlighting their greatness while making yourself out to be the dog.
I’ve got my reasons, but these keep me sane. Keeps most of the girls from getting too attached and keeps my balls intact after I let them go.
A brunette ball of energy bounds my way, all smiles and twinkling eyes. My name is on her glossy coral lips and her curves are probably the focus of every hot-blooded male standing on the green. Holding back a sigh, I open my arms to receive her but as she’s rocketing my way, something—or actually someone—catches my attention.
Shoulder-length black hair with…are those blue stripes artfully running through it? Skin like porcelain. The sun reflects off a silver lip ring. It seems to be winking at me. Slight build, yet the skin tight tee shows that he must work out.
Shit. My jaw is hanging and there is drool on my chin. My teeth click with a snap and I try to focus on the girl hugging me. Maggie’s soft body is rubbing up against mine as she greets me hello, but I cannot seem to avert my gaze from the new boy. Who is that Adonis?